MelRodStyle Turns 7 Today!
Feeling pretty overwhelmed, excited, speechless, anxious (for whatever reason.. idk), happy, blessed, grateful, thankful, love, a little emotional, but overall proud. Proud of myself (pats back). I feel like we never really give ourselves enough credit or any for what we have accomplished or how far we have come. And today I’m just feeling all kinds of emotions. Feelings on top of feelings. I know some may think I’m being so dramatic, some might think this is not a big deal – but it is to me. I wasn’t prepared for this day (ok now I’m being totally dramatic). I knew June 15 was coming, but I didn’t prepare a blogpost or what I would publish on this day, so here it is… as I draft this post, literally just typing away whatever comes to mind.
MelRodStyle has become something greater than I had expected. A business I never thought existed or could even exist. It never crossed my mind that perhaps a “blog” can be my main source of income. My baby.
I decided to share a few fun facts about me/MelRodStyle, but before I do I wanted to say THANK YOU to you all who have shown love and support to my baby blog. I sound like I’m giving a speech for winning some type of an award an all, but to be truly honest, my blog wouldn’t be what it has become without you all, so thank you from the bottom of my corazon.
- MelRodStyle was originally called Modanista Junkie, which lasted a few months until it was changed to MelRodStyle.
- Mel Rod came from simply the first 3 letters of my first and last name. My very first email began with MelRod so it just felt natural to name my blog that.
- Although I started my blog in 2010, it wasn’t until 2016 that my blog became more than just a hobby.
- My blog began with nothing but OOTDs and DIYs.
- I’ve never deleted a blogpost or an Instagram post even if it was the worst outfit or if it was a terrible photo, mainly because I like to look back on how much I’ve grown as a person as well as how far my blog has come.
- I’m sure I don’t stand alone when I say that it was completely awkward and embarrassing to take photos in the beginning. Like who do I think I am taking outfit photos… for who? for what? But here we are today.
- I was working in the fashion industry for many years while blogging on the side.
- It wasn’t until I started feeling very overwhelmed and had to turn down opportunities because of my full-time 9-5 job, that I took the plunge, stepped out of my comfort zone, took a leap of faith, made the biggest decision of my life – not knowing if this would bite me in the a*$ in the end or not, and left my corporate job.
It’s incredible what blogging has evolved to today. I’m completely humbled and blessed to be able to say I can work for myself. The hustle is real, but I would much rather work hard for something I’m passionate about and can call my own than stress over someone else’s dream. What I’m trying to say is that if you are passionate about something or want to build something of your very own, then go for it. MAKE. IT. HAPPEN. I did. It took me longer than expected but I did it, and haven’t looked back since. Even though it took me almost 7 years to get to where I am today, it all happened for a reason. The timing wasn’t right for me back then. I truly believe that timing is everything.
I hope that this post inspires you to pursue your dreams.
As always, if you have any questions, leave a comment below or DM on Instagram @melrodstyle.